As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. In addition, I participate in several other affiliate programs that allow me to earn while I recommend products I love.
Whether you’re trying to make pancakes in the microwave because you’re lazy, your stove is broken, or you just think it sounds like an awesome cooking experiment, we’re here to help!
Can you make pancakes in the microwave?
Will it all go horribly wrong, or will you be walking away with a smug face and new cooking hack?
We’ve done the research for you and broken down all the do’s and don’t for making pancakes in the microwave.
Read on to discover the truth, what to expect, and how to go about microwaving your pancakes.
Also note that this article is talking about American-style, fluffy pancakes in the microwave, not the thinner, crepe-style pancakes or even the pancakes used for duck.
This is a Sunday morning, maple syrup on top pancake.
And yes, we’re actually talking about cooking them from a raw batter, not just reheating pancakes in the microwave (which you can also do!)
GET A FREE NO-FUSS COOKBOOK & SECRET HACKS!
This is your downloadable, ad-free key to cooking success!
Our Favorite Quirky Kitchen Gadgets
- Select-A-Spice Auto-Measure Carousel – Get your exact spice amount without measuring spoons with this spice carousel. Simply twist the dial for a perfect 1/4 teaspoon measurement!
- Silicone Utensil Rest with Drip Pad – This utensil rest keeps my countertops neat & drip-free!
- Snap N Strain Pot Strainer and Pasta Strainer – I love this strainer because it fits on all pots and pans while also being compact and easy to use!
- Herb Scissors Set – I use these scissors to cut and mince fresh herbs directly into any dish without the tedious work of cutting each herb or dirtying up a cutting board.
- Knife Sharpener – I love how quirky and nifty this rhino shaped knife sharpener is. It definitely puts the FUN in functional!
Can you cook pancakes in the microwave?
Yes, you can cook pancakes in the microwave and safely eat them.
Seriously. Microwave pancakes.
It’s a thing.
However, you are not going to get any browning on your pancakes, so if you like your pancakes with a bit of a bite or any crunchy parts at all, then this is not the route for you.
They will be fluffy and soft, and definitely edible though not exactly like you would get with a pancake cooked in a pan.
How to make pancakes in a microwave
To make pancakes in the microwave, you’ll need the following ingredients (adapted from an All Recipes pancake recipe):
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
First, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, granulated sugar).
Then, mix the milk and egg into a separate bowl, stirring in the melted butter.
Finally, mix all ingredients together in one bowl (but do not over-mix, just mix until combined and there are no large flour chunks).
Using butter, “grease” the entire surface of a microwave safe plate (yes, you can put paper plates in the microwave, but this is not the recipe for it. Use a real plate).
Pour 3/4 cup of batter onto the plate, and microwave on high for 50 seconds.
Check after 50 seconds, and if it is still liquidy, then give it 10 seconds more at a time until it appears fluffy.
Tips for microwave pancakes
Make sure the batter is evenly distributed
When you pour the batter onto the plate, make sure it’s evenly distributed around instead of clumping on any one side.
This will give you a more evenly cooked pancake.
Put the plate slightly off-center in the microwave
Sounds weird, but putting the plate off-center in the microwave will help the middle cook through better as it rotates around the center of the microwave rather than staying in one place.
If in doubt, add more time (slowly)
There are reports of people making pancakes in the microwave for anywhere up to 1 minute and 45 seconds.
We recommend starting on 50 seconds because everyone’s microwaves are different, but keep adding 10 seconds at a time until you get your desired consistency, up to 1 minute and 45 seconds.
Can you microwave pancake mix?
Yes, if you use pancake mix instead of making your microwaved pancakes from scratch, it will still work.
Simply put together the pancake mixture as instructed on the box, and then pour about 3/4 cup of pancake mix per plate.
Pancake in a mug recipes
If you’ve never heard of pancake in a mug, then behold, the beautiful world of mug recipes.
If you don’t feel like making traditional pancakes on a plate, you can also make pancake in a mug recipes that use the microwave.
The ingredients will usually be slightly different to the traditional pancake recipes, but close enough that it tastes like eating a warm mug of pancake which we can all agree is a good thing.
This is the best pancake in a mug recipe to enjoy.
Want more fun pancake hacks? Check out our guides!
- Exactly how to make pancakes without eggs
- Making pancakes without milk substitutes
- Help! I don’t have baking powder for my pancakes
- Can you freeze pancake batter?
- Is it okay to make pancake batter the night before (and should you?)
- What to do if your pancakes stick to the pan
- Can You Use Waffle Mix to Make Pancakes?